I refuse to join Facebook, but I want to be able to share some of my adventures, so I thought I would try blogging. We will have to see how long this experiment lasts...

Note: Do not wait to be the last person to get a blog, all the good names are taken (especially if you have a common name like Sarah). I tried Sarah + variations of Trips, but it just looked like a stripper's page, sigh.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Weekend in Manila

Where do I begin? 
Flight:  I left Dulles at 1pm for a 15 hour flight to Seoul, South Korea.  Then I hung out in the airport for 4 hours before another 4 hour flight to Manila, arriving at 1 am.  Flight time: 19 hours, travel time: 25 hours!

Korean Air was amazing.
Comfort Kit
 
777 Seats

Dinner
The seats were not bad at all, you got a super comfy blanket, pillow, slippers and toothbrush and toothpaste.  They seemed to feed us non-stop, I've included a shot of dinner, not bad at all.

The in-flight entertainment system was great.  You have your own tv with a lot of movies and tv shows and even games to chose from.  You can start and stop watching any show you want at any time and you can play games even as the plane is landing.  I tried Tetris, Sudoku and Luxor, but there were also arcade games like PacMan and golf and racing games.  
In flight movie choices




In flight gaming!




Lunch in Manila
I slept great Friday night, I even slept through breakfast, doh!  One of my work colleagues called around noon and we agreed to meet in the lobby to see some sights before our team meeting.  The team members that met for breakfast had already left on a tour.  Parham and I went to a nice museum and walked around the mall, where we had lunch.  This was my first Filipino meal, it cost 160 pesos or approximately $3.80 US - a nice beef stew and seafood stew with fried rice.



Dusit Thani Hotel Room

Dusit Thani Bathroom

We stayed at the Dusit Thani Hotel, a very nice hotel that had non-stop weddings going on all weekend.  The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are really comfortable.  They also had a breakfast buffet with everything from fresh fruit, breads, meats, eggs in any style and even hot foods you would typically find at dinner.

Dusit Thani Hotel Lobby

ABV Welcome Kit

ABV arranged a kick-off meeting Saturday afternoon where all the team members met for the first time and we were given an introduction presentation on Davao.  ABV even prepared nice welcome kits for us when they handed out or local cell phones.  Then ABV took us out for a group dinner at a local place called Gerry's.  We ate "family style" with ABV ordering a variety of local dishes and everyone trying what they wanted.


Jet lag hit me hard Saturday night and I didn't sleep well at all.  We got up early to catch our flight to Davao.  We start work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment