I refuse to join Facebook, but I want to be able to share some of my adventures, so I thought I would try blogging. We will have to see how long this experiment lasts...

Note: Do not wait to be the last person to get a blog, all the good names are taken (especially if you have a common name like Sarah). I tried Sarah + variations of Trips, but it just looked like a stripper's page, sigh.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Client Orientation and Mayor Sara

Monday the team went to the University of Mindanao for a meeting between the IBM team and all our local clients.  We each gave a brief introduction of ourselves, then the clients gave us an overview of their businesses and some of the plans they have for our time here.

"Filipino" business time is much more relaxed than I am used to.  Everyone arrives after the agreed upon start time, and there is almost mandatory socializing and mingling before any work begins.  This will spoil me and take some readjustment when I return to the US.  
 
Lunch at the University of Mindanao

We all were starving by the time the introductory presentations were completed and the University served my favorite meal in the Philippines so far.  We had Blue Marlin in mango chutney, Bam-e noodles and a beef in gravy over rice.  I went back for seconds with no shame and we even got chocolate cake for desert.

Padma and I met with the client we will be working with during lunch - Mary Anne.  Mary Anne informed us that there was a transportation strike in Davao on Monday, so her office was closing early and we could wait until tomorrow to report to work.  She gave us her business card and told us where the office is located.  We also briefly talked about what she is really hoping to accomplish with our time.

After lunch we were taken to meet with the Mayor of Davao City, Mayor Sara - yep, Sara.  We arrived around 2pm and city hall was packed.  Monday is the only day the Mayor is typically in her office in the city to hear from the people and perform wedding ceremonies.  The staff was kind enough to get us chairs and water while we waited.  The Mayor's schedule kept us waiting, so the City Administrator put us in a conference room and met with us.  She was really nice and excited to get our initial impressions of Davao.  She even had her staff go out and get us ice cream. One of my teammates, Christophe, told her he is already planning on trying to stay in Davao and we do not know if he is joking or not. 

Mayor Sara

We finally met with the Mayor and she is my age!  We watched her in a meeting before we got a few minutes of her time.  She asked our team some questions, welcomed us and posed for pictures before we left. 

Lesson of the day: Do not assume a bathroom outside of the hotel will have toilet paper or hand soap.  I do not mean they are out of stock, I mean they were never there to begin with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment