I refuse to join Facebook, but I want to be able to share some of my adventures, so I thought I would try blogging. We will have to see how long this experiment lasts...

Note: Do not wait to be the last person to get a blog, all the good names are taken (especially if you have a common name like Sarah). I tried Sarah + variations of Trips, but it just looked like a stripper's page, sigh.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Old Town Rhodes

Today we started with another great breakfast, then caught a painfully overloaded bus into the old town.  Old Town Rhodes is a fortified city directly on the harbor, with the new city growing around it in all directions.  Old Town has ancient temples to Greek gods, small chapels, Medieval remainders of the Knights of Rhodes and mosques from the Ottoman empire.  The small, winding streets are packed with historical sites right next to hotels, cafes and tourist shops.  The old town is surrounded by two walls with a dry moat between that you can walk in.  Huge sandstone cannon balls left from a siege are all over the area and are used for decoration now.  The old town extends out to the bay where the base of the Colossus of Rhodes is all that remains of the ancient wonder.  The best views of the crowded city were from the top of the city walls, but there was no shade and it was so hot today.  I may be a little sunburned now and my feet are feeling the cobblestone streets.  We came back to the hotel to enjoy our last night at the pool and get packed.
Rhodes Harbor

View from Rhodes City Walls

No comments:

Post a Comment